[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

SECURITY HOLE: "Guestbook"

The version of "Guestbook" available at
<URL:http://alpha.pr1.k12.co.us/~mattw/scripts/guestbook.htm>
allows execution of arbitrary commands under the server UID.
If this sounds familiar, it should: it's the third security
hole of this nature I've found in two days.  I'm posting this one
more widely in the hope that it will inspire people to be more
careful when writing CGI scripts for public consumption, and because
this one is in very wide use.

It's the same old story -- forks a shell and sends off user
supplied form data without checking it at all.  In my probes
I'm also finding sites running their webservers as root...
BAD BAD.  DON'T DO THIS.

Followups to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi, please.

--
Paul Phillips                                 | "Click _here_ if you do not
<URL:mailto:paulp@cerf.net>                   |  have a graphical browser"